Audition

Feeling cruel and want to trick your horror-averse friend into watching a truly excruciating J-horror? Look no further than seemingly terror-free Audition, or perhaps don’t look at all. A lonely widower looks for love, and finds it in the enigmatic Asami – but this isn’t a romance. ‘Kiri kiri kiri kiri…’ – Josephine Dowswell

The Babadook

The Babadook is an intense psychological horror with a unique and thought-provoking twist. Whilst the film sidesteps the laboured clichés, there remains something generic and ordinary about The Babadook – and intentionally so. This film reveals the horrors of an epic human struggle as the lines between troubled minds and the supernatural begin to blur. – Alex Piper

Shaun of the Dead

Beginning as a gentle comedy drawing humour from the stifling inertia swamping the life of its loveable titular character, Shaun of the Dead quickly develops into a psychologically pummelling and bloody disgusting struggle for survival once the dead rise from their graves, and the latent relationship issues between Shaun’s family and friends are dragged haphazardly into the spotlight. – Ed Brown

Creep

Aaron, a videographer, takes a job: film Josef, a dying man wanting to provide a film about himself for his unborn child. Josef is one of the creepiest (yet charming) and scariest (yet sympathetic) characters in recent cinema. This brilliantly crafted duality makes Creep an odd, horrifying and incredibly effective horror. – Alex Caesari

Jaws

If the theme tune for Jaws isn’t enough to convince you of its status as the best horror film, then maybe the questionable, yet entertaining, cinematography and prop usage will. Swimming with suspense and drama, this film not only plays on primal instincts, but also the fear of the unknown. This is one for those who don’t like sleeping relatively nightmare-free. – Saoirse Smith-Hogan

Frankenstein (1931)

Frankenstein is a monster movie classic that is a must see this Halloween season. From using German expressionism, to eerie sounds, to Boris Karloff’s iconic performance, this film is laced in suspense and is a treat for the academics, or movie enthusiast, in all of us. – Will Samayoa

The Witch

Robert Eggers’ directorial debut The Witch is not your conventional horror film that solely relies on jump scares to engage its audience. Instead, this film relies more on its increasingly intense and gloomy atmosphere to establish a deeply unsettling, allegorical and religiously satisfying narrative. It’s also a film that gets better on subsequent rewatches. – Oscar Huckle

Hush

Hush tells the story of a deaf woman who becomes trapped in her house by a deranged killer who has just murdered her friend and neighbour. Despite telling her he can come in any time he wants, there is constant shifting in the balance of power between the two characters that makes the film incredibly tense, and absolutely terrifying.  – Kate Romain

It Follows

Much deeper than its premise would have you believe, the monster in It Follows always stalks  you after it has  been transmitted to you sexually. It lingers on in the back of your mind like a nightmare you spend all day trying to figure out long after the credits roll. – Joem Opina

The Wailing

Taking classic Asian folklore and allegorising it through the lens of genre-bending horror, The Wailing follows a bumbling cop as his daughter slowly succumbs to the process of possession. From here on it’s a heady combination of paranoia, violence, heartbreak and slapstick(!), crescendoing to a meaty final showdown between good and evil where you don’t actually know which is which. – Gus Edgar