2017 is drawing to a close, the end of term bringing Concrete’s traditional round-ups and reflections with it.

There was a general election, UEA brought the Derby Day trophy home once again, and a controversial statue made its home on the roof of the Library. Concrete interviewed Stephen Fry, Ed Balls, Michael Palin, Harriet Harman and many more. We were also reporting on the issues that mattered the most to students, being the first outlet to report on a data breach that saw students’ sensitive information mistakenly emailed to their peers, staying up all night to report on the snap election, and live-reporting on Derby Day with the UEA Media Collective.

We’ve asked students about sex, the students’ union, and study spaces. We picked up Highly Commended Best Publication at the Student Publication Association (SPA) awards in May, as well as awards for a feature following UEA Security around for a night and an interview with Norwich South MP Clive Lewis.

It’s yet to be determined whether we will survive another production weekend, but the wonky Concrete Christmas tree has been put up, the Livewire Christmas single recorded and released, and a few paper hats (made of issue 344) are scattered across Media Collective desks. We might not have managed to get any sleep, but it’s been another year with a packed calendar for Concrete.

This issue, we’re also looking forward to the new year and our writers have started to think about the changes they want to make in 2018. In Finance this week, reporter Tony Allen has listed the ways he will try to budget better next term. Head over to page 15 to get some ideas.

On the note of progression, it was exciting this week to see a collaboration between UEA Sport and UEA SU’s LGBT officers in the form of a joint sports night and Colours LCR event. Despite reports of booing at the announcement of the night the week before, students joined together on the night to celebrate LGBT+ students’ involvement in sport and an attitude of inclusion in sport at UEA. You can flip to our back page story for our coverage on the night.

We’ve also got not one but two exciting opportunities to join the team here at Concrete, and are opening applications for the role of co-editing the paper’s Features section. (Turn to page 10 for some more info on what the role entails.)

Venue are also looking for someone to take over the position of Gaming editor, so if Pokemon or, er, Digimon, is your thing then get in touch! (Gaming is evidently not my thing.)

If you think one of those jobs sounds perfect for you, then head over to concrete-online.co.uk/get- involved to find out about how you can get applying.

There are dozens of other ways to get involved in Concrete, from writing to illustrating to copy editing, and fact-checking.

Team Concrete will be there at Refreshers’ fair, so come say hi in January if you can’t make it to our last post-pub pub Tuesday 5 December!