Finding a Halloween costume is always a tricky task. Do you play it safe and go as something everyone will recognise, and that ten other people have also dressed up as? Or should you go a bit more obscure and deal with people asking what you’re supposed to be all night?

1. The Cat

As Halloween is getting closer, it’s easy to just throw on some cat ears, draw some eyeliner whiskers, wear an all-black outfit and say you’re done. Many girls, including myself, have done this on Halloween as a last-ditch attempt at a costume. When you consider that Amazon sells cat ears for less than £4, it’s tempting. But, do you really want to wear the same costume as half the other people at the party? No, you do not.

1. White T-shirt covered in blood

This is usually worn by a guy who put on his usual clothes and then covered himself in fake blood five minutes before pres started. It’s almost guaranteed that his friends will do the same, and they will spend the night walking around like they just got into a fight with a gang of ketchup bottles. While this low effort costume may be tempting, just know now that no one will be able to tell any of you apart.

1. Disney Princesses

Anything can happen in the LCR on Halloween and you might even meet your Prince (or Princess) Charming, but does that mean you have to wear a princess dress in order to find them? Absolutely not. Snow White and Cinderella are not exactly the scariest Disney characters so perhaps shake it up and go as a villain instead? Maleficent, Ursula, or the Queen of Hearts are some great candidates for this year’s Halloween costume. Remember, you don’t have to be a princess to be the belle of the Halloween ball.

1. Superheroes

Superman, Spiderman, and Batman always make an appearance at least once at Halloween and you’ll see a couple of others from this year’s Hollywood superhero blockbusters. In 2016, we saw a wave of Harley Quinns appear, and this year there will probably be a high number of Marvel superheroes hitting the scene. But most of us have seen the movies, and could have stayed in on Halloween to rewatch them if we’d wanted to see those costumes again.

1. Anything culturally appropriative or racist

Sticking feathers in your hair to look like a Native American, pulling on a flowery skirt to look like a Hula dancer, or dressing up like a sombrero-wearing Mexican may seem like a funny joke to some; but it’s important to remember that people’s cultures aren’t something to be worn one night and then tossed away the next. Wearing costumes that play on or laugh at stereotypes of a particular group of people is disrespectful and dehumanising. Throw the idea out of the window and spend your time on making something that will actually be enjoyable for everyone on Halloween.

So, what makes a good Halloween costume? Well, make sure it’s not something you’ve already seen ten times before; try and be as original as possible. Group costumes are always fun, but avoid ones that are going to make you and your mates look identical. Perhaps ask yourself, is the costume actually scary? If not, try to make it more scream-worthy. But above all else, your costume should be something that can be fun and enjoyable for everybody, not just a few.