Our writers share their favourite 80s films and put Ready Player One to shame…

The King of Comedy

“Director Martin Scorsese’s fifth collaboration with Robert De Niro, ‘‘The King of Comedy’’ is a grossly underrated and initially misunderstood black comedy that flopped on release. De Niro disappears into the role of Rupert Pupkin, a man desperate for fame in this biting satire on the notion of celebrity” – Oscar D. Huckle

Back to the Future

“Back to the Future combines a high-school love story with a time-travel ticking-clock plot to create an 80s icon greater than the sum of its parts. It’s a tight movie that manages to be both light-hearted and cheesy while hitting thrilling highs that’ll be remembered even when we no longer need roads.” – Joem Opina

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters 

“Paul Schrader’s character study of poet and activist Yukio Mishima is a biopic like no other: splicing reality between four stylised instances of fiction, we slowly understand the figure in spite of his radicalism – without necessarily empathising with him. It’s a perfect political balancing act, accompanied by Glass’ divine score.” – Gus Edgar

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

“The most stylish horror film of the twentieth century, Peter Greenaway’s decadent portrait of sex, murder, and cannibalism plays out over the stage of a vast French restaurant. Featuring a demonic performance by Michael Gambon as the inventively foul-mouthed Thief, this film is a feast in every sense.” – Liam Heitman-Rice

Stand By Me

“It’s the summer of 1959 and four twelve-year-old boys go on a quest to find a rumoured dead body in the hopes of getting their names in the paper. There’s leeches, camping, trains and high pitch prepubescent swearing. But ultimately it’s about friendship and growing up.” – Evlyn Forsyth-Muris

Predator

“The quintessential Schwarzenegger movie, and a film that launched a superb franchise (that will have a new installment this year). Quotable, riotously entertaining, and boasting a killer lead performance, Predator is an action movie that’s still to this day a blast to watch.” – Balázs Kökényesy

Rain Man

“Rain Man’s focus – on autistic savant Raymond and the values his hot-headed brother learns from him – actively avoids presenting autism as a condition that could or should be ‘‘fixed’’. Often remembered only for Hoffman’s remarkable performance, Rain Man has revolutionised the portrayal of autism in film and still provokes reflection.” – Charlie Hunt

Octopussy

“The James Bond franchise is a long-running one, but the brief period of time in which Roger Moore, the best actor, and John Glen, the best director, worked together marks the series’ high point. Octopussy is a classic Bond romp, complete with Bond girls and gadgets (like a crocodile outfit and multifunctional watch).” – Tom Bedford