Last Christmas – Wham!

Laced with catchy lyrics and deep rich tones, the Wham! hit is an absolute Christmas classic. This song is as integral to Christmas as is the turkey itself. From the background sounds of jingle bells, to the upbeat rhythm, Last Christmas is more than just an ordinary Christmas song. It’s a Christmas anthem.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas – Michael Bublé

3:26 minutes of heaven; from Bublé’s smooth buttery voice that tastes like soft spiced cookies, to lyrics depicting ‘candy canes’ and ‘silver lanes aglow’. Every single note smells like a cinnamon and vanilla candle and this song is the musical equivalent of a hug from Christmas itself.

Leia Butler

Driving Home for Christmas – Chris Rea

Driving Home for Christmas has become one of my favourites since joining UEA. It pretty much sums up how I feel come the end of the semester. The universality of everyone making their way home for Christmas to be with their families always warms me; I love to listen to it as I’m travelling back home after completing my summatives!

Jodie Bailey

Fairytale of New York – The Pogues

Do you know the lyrics to Fairytale of New York? I don’t, but every year it is the song we all pretend we know the lyrics of. It’s a miserable and depressing Irish rock number which documents the collapse of a marriage. But if you look me in the eye and tell me that you don’t love it, I will treat you with suspicion for the rest of eternity. The true pinnacle of Christmas music, if Fairytale of New York isn’t on your Christmas playlist, then you don’t have a Christmas playlist.

Christmas Time (Don’t Let the Bells End) – The Darkness

Despite the single worst professional band I have seen live, there is still a special place in my heart for The Darkness. Whether it is primarily down to the fact that my Music GCSE was based on playing covers of I Believe in a Thing Called Love and Love Is Only a Feeling on a Squier Jazzmaster that didn’t work is an academic matter; my love is definitely somewhat due to Christmas Time. This is to Christmas music what The Room is to cinema: something so terrible that it actually adds something to the medium.

Merry Christmas (Kiss My Ass) – All Time Low

There’s a part of me that wants to forget that I own four All Time Low albums, saw them three times and once wanted to model my hair on frontman Alex Gaskarth in the Dear Maria, Count Me In video. But the other part of me will forever live on, the part of me that enjoys a music video in which a puppet goes postal to a song which makes the best of a clear contractual obligation to write a Christmas song for the label. For those who like having guilty pleasures, it won’t get guiltier than this.

Nick Mason