An academic has said there are unacceptably muddy pathways on campus.

Muddy pathways near the lake, which connect UEA to Cringleford, are “putting many people off walking to work,” according to one lecturer.

They said despite reporting the conditions of the paths over a month ago they felt the situation had not improved. “My issue is with UEA’s lack of action in improving the condition of pathways for those of us who walk into work from the Cringleford area.

“I struggle through because I try to minimise my car usage as much as possible; the personal cost is I often turn up to work with muddy shoes and, worse, muddy trousers,” they said.

“It might not seem like a big deal, but why should I have to put up with these conditions when I’m doing the right thing according to UEA transport aims and goals?”

UEA encourages staff and students to walk or bicycle. However, the lecturer says the university should ensure there are safe, clean, and accessible pathways if they recommend this.

“We don’t want to see the area paved or even a wooden boardwalk installed. We would just like some gravel put down in the mud-prone areas so one is able to walk to work without the mess.”

The lecturer said the path was worse in winter, describing it as “a mud bath for most of December to the end of March – it is never able to dry out.”

“I do know a number of people drive when it rains due to the state of the path, these people would walk in if it wasn’t for the mud.

“One might ask why we don’t wear wellies; I don’t want to walk four miles in wellies and I certainly don’t want to carry them for that short mud battle. Plus, I am often already carrying papers and other things already.”

A university spokesperson confirmed a report was made in January about the condition of “a particularly muddy and wet area of trail near the Mathematical bridge at the south west corner of the Broad on campus.”

“We acknowledged this email and our landscape manager is investigating the issue raised.

“The weather conditions over the last few weeks have caused rivers to burst their banks in the surrounding areas, and currently there are a number of informal paths and trails which are muddy on campus,” they said.

The grounds team continue to work to “minimise disruption to formal campus pathways” by monitoring the condition and cleaning or pressure washing hard surfaces to remove mud, moss, or damp patches which may become slippery.