‘Hello’ – Adele

If any song has defined this academic year, it has got to be Adele’s ‘Hello’. Soulful and emotive, this song reflects the heart-breaking agony of relationship breakdowns from the perspective of the break-up perpetrator. ‘Hello’ captivated its audience, spending three weeks at number one, and placing Adele back into the lime-light after two years of absence. ‘Hello’ has to be the most successful come-back song to date; made apparent by the ample amount of parodies (my favourite is the ‘Star Wars’ themed one, you won’t be disappointed.)

‘Love Yourself’- Justin Bieber

I know lots of people really dislike Justin Bieber, but I am (slightly) ashamed to say that I have started to enjoy his new stuff. ‘What Do You Mean’ and ‘Sorry’ are amongst his most successful songs of this academic year, but ‘Love Yourself’ created a new, more meaningful side to Bieber’s music, causing him once more to soar into popularity. Perhaps this was a result of his collaboration with singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran, who wrote the song for him. With six weeks at number one, this track has been his most popular to date.

‘X Gon’ Give It To Ya’ – DMX

This song was originally released in 2003, but recently made a come-back after its appearance in Deadpool in February 2016. As one of the most successful films of the year, this song re-entered the charts at no. 23 at the end of February. If you’re feeling stressed or demotivated, ‘X Gon’ Give It To Ya’ is a fabulous cure. Also, check out Melissa McCarthy’s lip-sync of this song – it’s golden.

‘Fast Car’ – Jonas Blue ft. Dakota

Despite the criticisms of this remix of Tracy Chapman’s ‘Fast Car’, it spent eleven weeks in the Top Ten charts. The song retains the original melody and lyrics written by Tracy Chapman in 1988, which could account for this song’s popularity. It has, however, lost a large amount of its depth and meaning when set against the pounding-base and fast pace of this dance anthem, although enthusiasts of the original will not be able to help but enjoy themselves when they hear this in a club.

‘Work’ – Rihanna

2016 for me, especially when in the LCR, has been defined by Rihanna’s ‘Work’. This is one of those songs that you hate when you first hear it, but, after a few listens, it gets under your skin. Despite its clear popularity, it never actually made it to number one, but come on, there is no one alive in 2016 who hasn’t heard this song.

Secret Love Song’ – Little Mix ft. Jason Derulo

‘Secret Love Song’ is an emotionally-charged ballad, telling the story of a torturous secret relationship (you can tell that I’m a sucker for the ballads right?) Although you may not know it from the title, when you hear the chorus you’ll realise how much this track has been played around campus.