Two UEA faculty members have been made National Teaching Fellows by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) in recognition of their outstanding contributions to and practice of innovative teaching styles.

Chief Executive of HEA Professor Stephanie Marshall said: “A National Teaching Fellowship is the most prestigious individual award for excellence in teaching in higher education”, she added that the recipients “represent some of the very best teaching” at their level of academia.

The two academics whose work has been recognized by HEA are Dr Fabio Aricò, Senior Lecturer in Macroeconomics for the School of Economics, and Dr Gill Seyfang, a Reader in Sustainable Consumption at the School of Environmental Sciences.

The Higher Education Academy state that Dr AricÚ utilizes a teaching philosophy ìgrounded on the principle that students should develop academic self-efficiencyî and increases student confidence “by developing self-assessment skills and promoting self-regulatory learning behaviours”.

Dr Seyfang was recognized for teaching with the use of a method known as “theoretical theatre”, which is the use of semi-improvised comedy performances by teachers to portray different concepts or theories. This is said to help bring abstract debates to life and help students grasp the subject”.

Last month UEA was upgraded from silver to gold in the governmentís new rankings for teaching standards in higher education. The Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) measures metrics such as student satisfaction and teaching and academic support.

This gold standard of teaching at UEA is exemplified by academics like Dr AricÚ and Dr Seyfang, for whom the art of imparting knowledge is still very much an area of study to be scrutinized and improved upon. Working hard to engage and assist students in their learning, they are finding new ways to teach that benefit all involved.