Have you ever heard the phrase ‘adrenaline-fuelled action’? This was the phrase used by many to describe Marvel and Joss Whedon’s hotly anticipated foray into television, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, the follow up to Whedon’s 2012 blockbuster Avengers Assemble.

SHIELD-cast

Photo: Film School Rejects

The show is set in the aftermath of what is now called The Battle of New York; or the final battle in Avengers Assemble. It follows a specialist team within the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, or S.H.I.E.L.D – just to make everything super cool and copacetic. This team has one mission; to contain heroes and the threat that the knowledge of these heroes could pose to the world.

So who makes up this team? First we have Agent May, an elusive female agent with a trauma in her past as yet unknown and Brett Dalton, the black-ops specialist with ‘family history’ who ticks tall, dark and handsome off the list. She, the quick-witted hacker who no doubt will end up in a relationship with tall, dark and handsome. And of course, two witty British scientists, one male and one female, with all kinds of on-screen chemistry.

The pilot plot was simple and unimaginative and the completely predictable host of characters meant that this was further emphasised. Though there are plenty of mysteries yet to be solved from this first episode, which perhaps will make you want to watch on, the phrase ‘adrenaline-fuelled action’ certainly did not pass through the mind of this viewer.