Wind

Offshore wind turbines have the largest potential to help meet the UK’s energy demands in a low carbon way. As a renewable energy resource, this is also a potentially infinite supply. The UK is one of the best locations for wind power because as an island our off-shore windfarms are very successful.

Tidal

The Earth’s surface is 71 percent water, so it is no surprise there are plenty of areas to generate tidal energy on large scale. The tide is constant and can be easily predicted. The life of a tidal power plant is also very long, it doesn’t require fuel to turn on and is low maintenance.

Nuclear

Although nuclear energy is not renewable, it is a low-carbon energy so less damaging to our environment than fossil fuels. It is relatively easy to control the output of a nuclear power station to suit the needs of our country, and it also doesn’t rely on the potentially unpredictable weather.

Solar

Although the UK isn’t that sunny, installing solar panels to heat a household’s water can considerably keep the cost of utility bills down. Once a solar panel is installed, solar energy can be produced for free. Solar cells also need little maintenance, so there is practically no risk of damage.

Biofuel

Biofuel is produced through a biological process involving anaerobic digestion. It had it’s moment a few years ago, but recent research points to it’s use declining. Despite the fact it has fewer negative implications on the environment, consumers continue to opt for the cheaper alternative.

Hydroelectric

Hydropower plants can generate power to the grid immediately, which can give essential back up power if there is ever a major electricity disruption. The hydroelectric dam can also help with other critical situations such as flood control, irrigation, and water supply.