Amazon UK will open a new Norwich logistics hub this September. The new development will allow for the operations of independent delivery companies within the Amazon delivery network. An Amazon spokesperson said “the hub will provide a network, where delivery companies can come to collect loads to be taken elsewhere”. Jamie Stephenson, UK Director for Amazon Logistics, said: “it will help independent local delivery companies to grow their businesses by providing state of the art technology to deliver Amazon orders”.

As Amazon UK promises rapid deliveries through launching their one-day delivery service and “Dash”, and the AmazonFresh grocery service, the demand for items to be delivered with speed have increased. The Norwich hub will accommodate these quicker deliveries in East Anglia. From September, the drivers will be able to pick up items from the small hub rather than a large-scale warehouse elsewhere in the country.

Amazon UK is already responsible for many jobs in Norwich, with 100 employees working at their industrial unit on the Sweet Briar Industrial Estate. These jobs will encompass a variety of direct and indirect jobs, including operation managers and shift managers – all of which are advertised online at sites such as indeed.co.uk.

Amazon have taken pride in the amount of people they promise to hire across the United Kingdom, as their numbers have risen to 3,500 employees, and the hub is estimated to increase the number of drivers delivering for Amazing in the region to 180. Senior operations leader for the Department of Work and Pensions in East Anglia, Stephen Lankester, believes these jobs will help boost the region as there are apparently already “800 unemployed people would be interested in [working] there”.