So many people refer to the 1980s when they talk about perfect culture, and with its crazy hair, Spielberg films and amazing cheesy music, it’s hard to disagree. Here, our writers give a little insight into their favourite aspects of 80s culture.

“It is clear that 80s films, especially the chick flicks, are superior to our modern versions. There’s a warm nostalgic feeling that comes from sitting down to watch The Breakfast Club (1985) with friends and family, as you watch this mismatched groups of high school teens become friends. No modern-day chic flick even comes close to the likes of Sixteen Candles (1984) or Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)!” – Gabriela Williams

Gaming

“Back when arcades were a big deal gaming was likely so much more of a social experience. The 80s was the decade in which enduring favourite franchises like Mario, Zelda, Pac-Man and Tetris were released – how many new franchises like that can we say there are nowadays?” – Tom Bedford 

Fashion

“I am a huge advocate of 80s fashion. Not necessarily the neons of the late 80s, but the greys, blacks, big hair, bold eye liner, and huge plastic earrings of the early 80s; think early Madonna with her chic red lip and wild mane of hair. So much cooler and edgier than the fake tan and needlessly thick eyebrows of today.” – Kate Romain

“While many will associate the 1980s with cheesiness (Rick Astley, Wham! and Bon Jovi), there is much more to this game-changing decade than people give it credit for. This was the decade The Smiths revolutionised youth culture, Michael Jackson released the world’s bestselling album Thriller, and the decade that Toto blessed that sacred rain down in Africa…” – Dan Struthers

Literature

“With writers such as Margaret Atwood who tackles the subjugation of women in The Handmaid’s Tale, Alice Walker, who explores the domestic abuse of women in a community of equally strong female characters in The Color Purple, Jeanette Winterson, who explores female sexuality in Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, and Marilynne Robinson, who focuses on the growth of domestic females, 80’s literature was, and is still considered to be, the most powerful and influential works in the feminist movement.” – Saoirse Smith-Hogan