Let’s set the scene for Christmas Day; imagine an over-crowded room (filled with family members you see once in a blue moon) huddled in front of the TV after having Christmas lunch or dinner.

remotes

The power of the remote control lies in everyone’s hand and there doesn’t seem to be a general consensus with the choice of channel, so the fighting seems to begin.

There are screaming children, agitated parents and wrapping paper everywhere, but somehow you manage to block that out and find yourself finally with the TV, what could be better? That is, of course, if you are not horribly disappointed with the schedule lined up for the day, be it on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and so on and so forth.

For some reason, it seems to be acceptable to show episodes of Holby City, Eastenders and Coronation Street where someone always seems to die or something horribly tragic happens on a day normally associated with joy. What a brilliant way to end Christmas Day! Also, we can’t forget the black and white vintage films with actors who speak like Katherine Hepburn. Not to mention the same showing of John Favreau’s Elf, with Will Ferrell playing the over-sized elf, and the over-used Home Alone on Channel 4 every year.

But that’s not it; we are then bombarded with the pre-recorded reality specials like Strictly Come Dancing, where we are subjected to the blatant abuse of a national holiday to get viewer ratings up.
What can we expect with the TV line-up this Christmas? Well, there’s bound to be a return of programmes that have been away from our screens for what seems like a year or so, like Sherlock and Call the Midwife on the BBC, where we are only given one episode to satisfy us for another few months.

It’s safe to assume that Doctor Who will prove to be a disappointment this year, not only with the departure of the 11th Doctor, but that his replacement was already a character on the The Fires of Pompeii episode. As well as this, we are provided with even more tedious TV specials from The Great British Bake Off, The Great British Sewing Bee and a mind-numbing 2-hour special of Downton Abbey to return to the screens. What could be any duller than knitwear, colourless mansions and period dress sense?

Overall, it seems that TV this Christmas, as well as Christmas TV in general, doesn’t live up to the hype created earlier in winter. Is there really any point to it, or has it unwittingly become a part of the Christmas culture? If so, we must prepare for even more television nonsense and overly-publicised TV specials for years to come.