We used to regard going on cruises as a luxury of the wealthy. However, as it becomes more and more popular, the price for cruises become cheaper and affordable to more.

Here’s the big question when it comes to cruises: is it the same as travelling? There isn’t one correct way to define travelling, but we can all agree that it’s the exploration of a new place while engaging with its culture and people. When we go on a cruise, we sleep in the same place and encounter mostly the same group of people, so does this mean we’re not actually ‘travelling’?

This is entirely dependent on the person. You can experience ‘proper travelling’ on a cruise if you talk to new people, make the most of your port stops and explore the local cultures. However, if you spend most of your time on the ship while enjoying the familiar company of your friends, you might as well be staying in a resort by the beach. Of course, that’s not to say that you can’t have fun either way.

One of the best things about cruises is that there is no need to worry about accommodation, food and transport. Your itinerary is set and most of your expenses are paid for. All you need to do is enjoy yourself. More so, you get a taste of different cities, islands and even countries. Most cruises spend one day in each destination. If by the end of the day you find yourself wishing for more time to explore the area, it only means you’ll have to come back later!

Although some may be hesitant to admit this, another great side of cruises is their 24/7 buffet. Some offer menus from the local cuisine and it’s a perfect way to taste new food. Overall, cruises are quite a cheap way to see the world (or at least, parts of it) on a single vacation trip. Not to mention, you only need to unpack once!

Going on a cruise is not all glamorous. Sure, most cruises will stop for one whole day in a port, but after cutting it down with sleeping time, queuing to get off and on the ship, you’re left with a few meagre hours to enjoy the area.

While cruises can be great for families or those who simply wish to enjoy onboard amenities, it may not be the best idea for travellers who are looking to immerse in foreign cultures. Putting aside the time crunch, it surely is harder to engage with the locals without being branded as a tourist.

Whether going on a cruise is worth it is a matter of personal preference. If you want a taste of ultimate leisure, go for it. Otherwise, you’re probably better off catching a flight.. I have no burning desire to go on a cruise but I wouldn’t refuse a luxurious trip sailing around the world.