The University of East Anglia’s Brutalist concrete architecture has inspired artist Noah Da Costa’s to explore different viewpoints in architecture and photography.

Ziggurats news

Da Costa’s exhibition ‘Concrete’, at the Gallery at Norwich University Centre of the Arts (NUA) consists of a series of digitally-altered photographs of concrete architecture. Da Costa has manipulated the photographs to alter the shape and surface of the buildings, producing an alien effect.

Da Costa has lived on the UEA campus and was brought up in Norwich, and the Brutalist architecture that captivated him has had a lifelong effect on him. Da Costa said that after he moved to London Southbank, the architecture of National Theatre designer Denys Lausden brought back childhood memories of UEA.

Da Costa said of his exhibition: “This series of work in Concrete goes back to 2012. The work in the exhibition is shot at the UEA and the Southbank Centre, the National Theatre. Denys Lasdun is a main influence.

“The images are architecturally based but they are abstract. They are literally details that stem from my camera walks. I picked out little details and worked on them back in my studio using mirroring techniques and symmetry techniques on the computer.

“There are several layers to them – the textures, the shapes, the sculptural elements.”

Da Costa studied a foundation course at the NUA, and is delighted to be exhibiting his work there.

NUA’s pro vice-chancellor Neil Powell said: “Noah Da Costa’s exquisitely produced, monochromatic photographs present the viewer with kaleidoscopic versions of reality that are simultaneously familiar and alien. The illusionistic space of the work draws us into wondering just where these locations are – and where our place is too.”