As you would expect, the entire Athletics team are excited about competing on such a massive stage, and the event is to be watched by some 40,000 spectators.

This year’s Championships are a once in a lifetime opportunity for all athletes, and the fact that the event is also testing out the Olympic Stadium that stars such as Usain Bolt are set to race on later in the year makes the occasion even more special.

It will truly be a momentous day that all will remember for the rest of their lives, regardless of where they finish in their events. Athletes from 117 universities will compete in the four day event at the Olympic Stadium, which will see all its facilities put through rigorous testing by the student competitors before the main event.

UEA’s team will be hoping to build on an already successful season, having enjoyed a fifth consecutive victory over the University of Essex at Derby Day 2012.

Concrete Sport caught up with the President of UEA Athletics, Ruth McKellar, who is confident of an overall good performance from the team, given that the club have had a promising season so far.
They competed in the BUCS Indoor Championships in February, where Steven Garrett and Charlie Roe were the stand out athletes, performing to an extremely high standard in the 800m and high jump and long jump respectively.

With the majority of the club travelling to the Olympic Stadium, UEA are going to compete in most of the events taking place.

Despite UEA having a relatively small women’s team, it is greater in size than in previous years, and McKellar believes the current team is the strongest that has ever existed at the club. Therefore, Athletics can be quite confident of achieving positive results, with some athletes expected to reach the semi-finals and finals of their respective events.
After being quizzed on how the magnitude of the event will affect performance, McKellar thinks that competing on such a big stage can only add another positive dimension to her performance, and so she is extremely excited about competing.

McKellar also acknowledged that for some the venue may add pressure, as Laura Bottiglieri, who is on the relay team, said that athletes have enough drive and inner belief in their talents to rise above any pressure that the venue and crowd may bring to the event.

Loughborough are looking to maintain the tradition of dominating the event. They have, after all, won every Outdoor Championship since 2005. It would therefore be a big demand for any other team, not just UEA, to top the table.

However, with UEA set to field a strong team, and brimming with confidence, they are more than able to spring a surprise.

Thanks to extraordinary demand, an extra 6,000 tickets were made available to BUCS members, after the original allocation sold out in a matter of days.