The LCR played host to the annual Union Awards on Tuesday 16 April as student achievements throughout the academic year were celebrated.

UEA AwardsHeaducate won New Society of the Year, recognising their efforts to raise awareness of mental health in schools. Photo: Ga Chun Yau.

Hosted by Union officers Joe Levell, Josh Bowker and Sam Clark, 27 awards were handed out at the ceremony, which was attended by over 100 people. The night also featured performances from DanceSport and the African-Caribbean Society at the interval.

The evening opened by celebrating the successful campaigns and campaigners from this year, with the Ethical Investment campaign named Campaign of the Year and the efforts to save the Islamic Centre named Campaign Success of the Year.

Stop the Traffik were also rewarded for an active and successful year as they picked up two awards for Student-Led Campaign of the Year and the award for Service to the Local Community. Campaigner of the Year was awarded jointly to Ethical Issues officer Rosie Rawle and Environment officer Benjamin Brown, celebrating their efforts in various campaigns on campus this year.

The School of Psychology was named as Staff-Student Liaison Committee of the Year, with Joseph Short, Kruti Shah, Molly Hughes and Nish Ragvani rewarded for their work in putting students’ views across as faculty representatives. Stephenie McGucken was also recognised as University Committee Rep of the Year, with John Pullinger awarded the Union’s Representation Staff Member of the Year and Cal Corkery given Union Rep of the Year.

The first half concluded with the award for Landlord of the Year, which was given to Alan and Penny Sutton. After the interval, further awards were presented, with the attention turning to the work of sports clubs, societies and work in the local community.

The Union’s outgoing LGBT+ officer Richard Laverick was named Volunteer of the Year, in recognition of his work around campus and in Norwich to help and represent LGBT+ students. UEA Links were awarded the Volunteering Club or Society of the Year for their work at the LCR, where they provide first aid and medical help for attendees at the venue’s concerts or club nights.

Zoe Phillips was then presented the Service to the Union award, presented by Diane Anderson of the Union’s Entertainments Department, for whom Phillips has worked in her time at the university.

The award for New Sports Club of the Year went to Cheerleading Dance, which is the first year the Cheerleading club has had separate teams for Dance and Stunt. Volleyball club were given the award for Progress as a Society after their success in their BUCS leagues this year.

Triathlon’s Rebecca Layland and Women’s Basketball’s Jemma Gordon were rewarded for their individual work this year, winning Service to a Sports Club and Outstanding Achievement by a Sports Club respectively having worked hard to help their clubs be successful. The table tennis club were awarded Sports Club of the Year after another superb year in BUCS that saw them win Midlands Division 1A without losing a match and qualify for the Premier South playoffs.

Towards the end of the evening, Headucate won New Society of the Year, while student radio station Livewire won Progress as a Society and Concrete’s editor-in-chief Amy Adams was awarded the award for Service to a Society.

The final two awards saw Drama Society presented with Society of the Year, with the final prize for Outstanding Achievement by a Society given to the committee of the newly-formed Quidditch society.