Anticipation was so rife that it was leaked just days before its official unveiling. Daniel Craig even admitted to crying after he listened to it. This is, of course, Adele’s Skyfall.

Beady eyes watched judgementally on which big star of the day would carry the spotlight of the next Bond theme song artist.

But what did everyone think of the choice of Adele? There’s no doubt she is the star of the moment, but is she among the likes of Carly Simon, Paul McCartney, and of course Shirley Bassey?

Her albums 19 and 21 have been met with substantial commercial success – there is a lot to say for this young, talented woman, all with utter jealousy and awe. It’s obvious from hits such as Someone Like You and Rolling in the Deep that Adele’s voice is one to be reckoned with.

Skyfall takes inspiration from old-school Bond films, and Adele’s startling, emotional tones align brilliantly.

It is yet to be seen if the latest theme will last. Some see nothing special in Skyfall, considering it a blend of all the James Bond themes.

It’s a careless view to hold given that there’s been such variety, and that recent themes have taken a more aggressive, less typical stance – Another Way to Die by Jack White and Alicia Keys, for example,

It seems much harder to get into the classics category these days – names like Nancy Sinatra and Shirley Bassey take up a lot of room. While it may be met with criticism, Skyfall is classic Bond. What matters now is that it’s enjoyed.