When it comes to indulgent desserts, homemade banoffee pie has it all. Whether your aiming to impress the housemates, the other half or the parents, this recipe will guarantee you maximum brownie points.

With a buttery biscuit base that would make Greg Wallace proud, a rich caramel sauce, a layer of fresh bananas (which is practically one of your five a day) and a dusting of dark chocolate to polish it off, this recipe is the perfect deadline day reward.

Ingredients

• 250g of digestive biscuits
  • 100g of butter, melted
  • 50g of light muscovado sugar
  • 397g of dulce de leche (this recipe uses Carnation Caramel)
  • 5 bananas, peeled and chopped into slices or disks
  • 200ml of heavy cream, whipped
  • 40g of dark chocolate

Method

1. To make the biscuit base, place the digestive biscuits in a food bag and, using a rolling pin, crush them into a crumb mixture. Alternatively, blitz them in a food processor.
  2. Place the crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar into a bowl and mix until the crumbs are coated and are well combined.
  3. Pour the mixture into a 23cm tin or dish and press evenly into the base. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
  4. Once 20 minutes have passed, remove the biscuit base from the fridge.
  5. Pour the dulce de leche onto the base and spread it over evenly using a butter knife
  6. Place the pieces of chopped banana over the caramel, ensuring the whole base is covered.
  7. Cover the banana with the whipped cream, before decorating with a sprinkle of grated chocolate. Refrigerate for at least five hours (overnight preferably) before serving.