Beautiful skin starts with a proper skincare routine. There is no point slathering your face in foundation and concealer if the skin underneath isn’t cared for. This is especially important at this time of year, when your face is exposed to the harsh weather outside and the drying heat inside.

Skin type

Not all skincare is perfect for all skin types, and if you’re using the wrong product formulas it can actually be damaging to your skin. So, before you get started, it is important to work out what skin type you have, whether that’s dry, oily, normal or combination skin. Once you’ve worked out what skin type you have, you can start looking for products – keep an eye out for labelling which often highlights which skin type the products are aimed at.

Cleanser

The first key product you will need in your routine, before you even think about moisturising, is a cleanser, which will clean and moisturise your skin ready to start your routine.

Toner

Next, if you want, you can apply a toner or acid. Toner is recommended for oily skin, as it balances the natural oils your face produces in the day. Whereas acids, such as hyaluronic acid, help your skin to absorb moisture, recommended for those of us with dry skin. The Ordinary (available on ASOS) has some great, affordable options for these products.

Moisturiser

Face moisturiser is probably the most important part of your routine. Skincare experts typically recommend two separate ones for day and night. Nivea are really good for moisturisers as they have a complete range of products for all skin types, again, for a very affordable price.

Eye cream

It is also important to invest in a separate eye cream to your usual moisturiser, as the skin around your eyes is 40 percent thinner than the skin on the rest of your face and is typically more sensitive. I recommend the La Roche-Posay Toleriane Eye Contour, as, although a little more expensive, it has worked wonders on my eyes to reduce puffiness, redness and dark circles.

Lip care

People often forget about lips in a skincare routine so it is important not to forget to use lip balm regularly – especially if you wear lipstick often! Nivea is also good for lip balm and Burt’s Bees also have delicious-smelling flavours.

There isn’t any need to spend mega bucks on these products, as long as they work for your skin. And the important thing to remember is to keep it simple! Changing up your routine too much will encourage sensitivity and redness. So, find your holy grail products that work for your skin and stick to them. With any luck your skin will be glowing and healthy in a matter of weeks!