It seems to be a rule of British politics today that people will underestimate Jeremy Corbyn.

He appears unimpressive, as I discovered meeting him last year, yet here is a man who defied all odds to be elected leader on a vote share larger than that of Tony Blair in 1994 , be re-elected the following year on an even larger share , and then provide

Labour’s largest increase in popular vote share since 1945.  The textbook mistake is to underestimate him. It’s a mistake his opponents have made time and time again, and it’s cost them dearly.

Despite undergoing obtuse character assassination by the media, which has led to  a division in popularity between Corbyn and his policies, it would only be right to say that Corbyn’s politics are right for Britain.

Britain needs delicate and subtle negotiators as it deals with Brexit, which the Conservatives seem unable to provide.

It is far easier to picture Barnier working with Corbyn than Theresa May, because Corbyn is simply much more mainstream on the continent.

This mainstream left is exactly what we need; the best of Britain is built on a Keynesian economic model, not a free market one. Economically speaking, there is sound reason behind Corbyn’s policies, and the role of the state in markets. Neo-Keynesian economists have pointed out that the state has the ability to be flexible in creating market opportunities with tools not available to private enterprise , and invest based on what Britain needs, which is often different from what businesses can gain from in the short term.

Often it is not appreciated how much state investment went into producing companies like Apple , and how state investment banks (which Corbyn supports) like the German KfW managed to generate a $3billion profit in 2012 while most other banks were still “in the red zone.”  Remarkably efficient.

Austerity will fail because you don’t run an economy like a household budget- you have to invest to grow, and when even Cameron’s director of strategy begins criticising

May’s cuts you have to question a policy strategy which, by contrast to Corbyn’s, is heavily unpopular.

Support for an increase in minimum wage (80 percent support), rent caps (74 percent), and nationalising railways (60  percent) and Royal Mail (65 percent) are hugely popular with British voters  and attainable, if only they can realise that Corbyn is right for Britain. Right for our future.