The 1-5 October marked On Ya Bike, with bicycle related events happening all week around campus to promote the benefits of cycling to students at UEA.

Jointly organised by the Union of UEA Students and UEA People and Planet, the week built on the success of the existing annual bike auction to offer free bike maintenance workshops, a bicycle powered cinema screening and a Norwich city cycle tour.

At the workshops, students received support and advice from staff at Doctor Bike, while the cycle tour offered participants the opportunity to get confident on the streets of Norwich.

The bike powered cinema, arguably the week’s biggest success, screened the award-winning climate change documentary The Age of Stupid in the square from two bike powered generators, relying solely on the pedalling of enthusiastic volunteers.

Ethical Issues Officer and co-organiser Rosie Rawle said: “On Ya Bike Week warmly welcomed anyone who was at all interested in getting to know their bike a little better, and with all the great feedback we’ve had, I think it will be a new annual event to add to the UEA calendar.”

The Union hopes to offer more support to those keen to take up cycling in future, and intends to run more maintenance workshops and cycle tours if there is enough demand.

If you would like to register your interest please email union.environment@uea.ac.uk or sign up in Doctor Bike on campus.

Benjamin is the environment officer for the Union of UEA Students.