UEA’s Swimming Club flaunted their talent at the BUCS Nationals Long Course Swimming Championships, with nine club records broken in one weekend at Sheffield.

Concrete caught up with Sport Scholar Hannah Binning, a first year Physical Education student, who hoped to reach at least one final in her first BUCS Long Course Nationals event. Binning clocked an impressive time of 1:01.82 in the F.C, breaking UEA’s club record.

After starting swimming at two years old, Hannah said she “first swam competitively at the age of nine, the youngest age you can enter competitions. I have been competing for around 10 years now and it has got more challenging through the years. Around 4 years ago I picked up a back injury which is still an issue today, but not as bad. I found it hard to train which limited my performance and made it much harder to reach my P.B’s. However, I am now able to train a lot harder which is why my performances have improved significantly!”

Hannah explained what inspired her to join UEA Swimming and how it helped her develop as an athlete. “Before I joined UEA I always knew I wanted to join the swimming team as I was passionate about continuing my swimming career! They have amazing facilities for me to train in, which is beneficial. They also have a high-quality coach who is very motivating and has a passion for helping everyone to reach their potential.

“Joining the UEA swim team has definitely helped me progress as an athlete both mentally and physically. They have helped me to create new race plans and I am now swimming the fastest I have in four years! I’m so glad I joined the swim team because they are an amazing group of people to train with and very welcoming to new swimmers to the club.”

In terms of her training schedule, she commented: “When I first started university in September I was training around seven times a week with the City of Norwich Swimming Club, as well as UEA Swimming Club.

“However, I found that I was very restricted for time training seven times a week so after Christmas I decided to only train with the UEA swimming club. I now train four sessions a week with land training based activities included.

“Leading up to BUCS the training intensity increased and every session it would be a case of setting goals to ensure I was reading to compete! During the sessions we would do a lot of race practice which really helps when it comes to competing!”

Hannah reflected on her success at Sheffield after breaking the 100 F.C, saying: “When I finished my race and saw I had swam a 1.01 I was so pleased! I haven’t swum that fast in four years now and I’m so chuffed about how the race went! I had the race all planned out, all that was left to do was to put the plan in action and it paid off! I didn’t realise I had broken the club record until I got back to my teammates and I was overwhelmed to hear that I had done it! It was such a shock and I’m so grateful to be part of such a wonderful team.

“The previous record was tough to beat so go and break it was one of the highlights of my weekend. The competition was tough as I was competing against a variety of top swimmers including Olympic athletes. However, I managed to finish 20th overall which is my best BUCS position and I was the second fastest 18-year-old overall. I’m definitely excited for my competitions in the near future after my performance at the weekend!”