Scientists have detected a black hole 100,000 times bigger than the size of our sun, at the heart of the Milky Way.

Using a radio telescope’s intense resolution and revolutionising sensitivity called the Alma, Japanese astronomers could detect it residing in a cloud of molecular dust.

The astronomers, at a site in the Andes, northern Chile, came across this new discovery.

With their technology, they could observe the phenomena 195 light years away from the centre point of the galaxy.

This is important because it sheds light, or darkness, on how the galaxy formed, and its mysterious history. As research has shown, exploring supermassive blackholes, could be the stepping stones towards understanding creation itself.

As this black hole is not categorised as a supermassive one, knowing why it is of intermediate size could help future researches establish why they merge and how fast they grow.

Professor Tomoharu Oka used computer simulations to show kinematics of the gas could only be explained by an intermediate black hole.

Even though black holes are a new discovery, first coined by Einstein, studying this one and previous ones may pave the way to realising why we are here, and the galaxy itself.