It’s that time of the year again, when big name brands and companies are churning out their Christmas TV Adverts in a bid to get their name out there and persuade viewers to do their shopping at their stores.

blizzardofads

Photo: Daily Mirror

It has been recently known to mark the occasion of Christmas itself in a way; when you see the (usually) fun-filled festive adverts on TV, you know it must be near. We’ve come to expect pretty big things from the providers of these adverts, and when they disappoint, you know you’ll hear about it for weeks.

Adverts on show from major retailers this season include an advert featuring a sentimental tale from John Lewis, entitled The Bear and The Hare. This sees a hare wake his hibernating bear friend with an alarm clock gift in order for him to enjoy his first Christmas with all the other animals, in front of large tree in a snow-covered field. The advert is accompanied by music from Lily Allen, covering Keane’s Somewhere Only We Know, and has proved to be a hit amongst eager Christmas viewers. The John Lewis Advert is one of the better ones out there, possessing quite a sweet nature to it, if only to sell their overpriced goods.

The recent popularity of these adverts has seen a surge in companies booking well-known celebrities to appear in their ads. For example, the M&S Christmas advert Believe in Magic and Sparkle features actress Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who falls down a man-hole and ends up in a whimsical Alice In Wonderland themed affair with David Gandy. The advert also contains mash-ups of various other fairytales including Red Riding Hood and The Wizard of Oz, where Helena Bonham-Carter appears as a ghostly emerald lady. This particular advert certainly focuses heavily on the idea of fantasy in festivity, and their use of celebrities will no doubt make their advert memorable.

Some of the not-so-impressive Christmas adverts come courtesy of companies such as Asda, who try to put across just how much money they’ve saved you by providing a particularly dull and dodgy advert featuring a few simple snowmen. Let’s just say it doesn’t quite pack the same punch as a heart-felt tale between a bear, a hare and a very first christmas.

Whether you love them or hate them, the Christmas Adverts are back in full force this festive season and there’s relatively no escape.