Updated 15 August 2013, 3.40pm: The body found in the lake has been identified as Nomeda Pundziene, a 43-year-old Lithuanian living in Gertrude Road.

Detective Inspector Richard Graveling said: “Her family initially had no cause for concern when they did not see her for a number of days as they believed her to be staying elsewhere.

“However, when they were made aware of the media coverage surrounding the discovery in the lake, they came to Bethel Street police station and we have sadly been able to confirm that the body was that of Nomeda.”

Ms. Pundziene had no connection with the University of East Anglia.

Updated 7 August 2013, 12.50pm: Police have confirmed that there is no evidence to suggest the woman found in the Broad was the victim of violence or that there was a third party involved.

Detective Inspector Richard Graveling said: “Further tests are being carried out although it is likely that she drowned. No evidence has come to light at this stage which suggests she was the victim of violence or that anyone else was involved in her death.”

Tests are currently being carried out on a shoe that was found in the lake matching the woman’s shoe size.

Norfolk Constabulary have released a picture of the dress the woman was found in, in hopes that it might provide a lead to who she was.

dressPhoto: The dress the woman was found in

The woman is described as “white, 5ft 7, of slim build and aged in her late 30s/early 40s. She had short dark brown hair with a natural wave, which had been dyed auburn/dark red”.

Anyone with information that may be relevant is urged to email press@uea.ac.uk or ring Norwich CID on 101.

***

Updated 2 August 2013, 11.23am: Further information is released by UEA:

UEA released a statement following a post mortem of the body found yesterday. Detectives are continuing their investigation in to discovering the identity of the woman after the post mortem “proved inconclusive.”

UEA also revealed that the woman is not linked to any known missing persons in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire. There have been no reports of missing people linked to, or residing at, the University. UEA will continue to assist the police as much as possible.

***

Updated 1 August 2013, 5:32pm: UEA released the following statement at 5:30pm, 1 August:

“Following a media briefing at the UEA campus this afternoon, police have confirmed that the identity of the woman found in the Broad this morning is still unknown, as are the circumstances of her death.

A post mortem will be carried out this evening and further information will be released by the police when possible.UEA will continue to assist the police with their investigation. The university has received no reports of staff, students or visiting conference delegates missing.UEA’s campus is an open one, with the broad and surrounding area a popular place for local families, fishermen and walkers to visit. Incidents such as this are extremely rare and we take the safety of our staff, students and visitors very seriously.”
***

Police have confirmed that the body of a woman was removed from the UEA Broad this morning.

slide_311160_2761581_free

Photo: Huffington Post

A statement from the Norfolk Constabulary reads “Investigations are continuing following the discovery of a body in a lake in Norwich this morning.

Police were called to the University of East Anglia, in University Plain, shortly after 8.40am after a member of the public who was fishing in the area dialled 999 after seeing a body floating face-down in the lake.

Officers were immediately dispatched to the scene along with colleagues from the fire service and ambulance. The air ambulance also attended.

The body of a woman was recovered from the water shortly before 9.30am.

Police are still on scene, carrying out searches of the immediate area which remains cordoned off while investigations continue.

The lake, known as the UEA Broad, is at the southern-edge of the campus and is a man-made lake which is not part of the river network. The River Yare runs alongside the lake and the area which is accessible and used by the public.

Initial enquiries have been carried out with UEA and at this stage it is believed all students have been accounted for.

Police are unable to confirm the age of the woman at this time and enquiries to identify her are continuing.”

The lake is open to the public but has been cordoned off while police continue their investigations.

UEA is currently holding summer schools, but confirm that all staff, students and visitors on campus have been accounted for.

The University released this statement:

“The University of East Anglia is continuing to assist the police with their inquiries following the discovery of a body in the Broad this morning.

As far as we are able to we have accounted for staff, students and visitors on summer schools and conferences, and we have not been made aware of anybody reported missing.

Swimming is strictly prohibited in the Broad, there are 18 warning signs positioned around it at regular intervals, along with 11 life belts which are checked every two weeks. The area around the UEA Broad is also patrolled regularly by estates and security staff.”