Three-piece act RavenEye explode onto the stage with their lively blues-influenced rock ‘Come With Me’ blares out of the amps as singer and guitarist Oli Brown claims it’s “good to be back home.” Drummer Adam Breeze encourages the crowd into chanting at the start of ‘Hey Hey Yeah’, and Brown’s energetic leaps from the drum kit are followed by himself and bassist Aaron Spiers making their way through the crowd with Brown balanced on Spiers’ shoulders.

The members of Bush stride onstage as lead singer and guitarist Gavin Rossdale’s friendly greeting is met with enthusiastic cheers. Opener ‘Everything Zen’ is a fan favourite, a combination of Rossdale’s rasping voice, Robin Goodridge’s forceful drumming, and lead guitarist Chris Traynor and bassist Corey Britz in perfect sync. ‘Little Things’ underlines the band’s grunge roots, Rossdale grabbing the microphone, vaulting the barrier and finishing the song amid a sea of sweaty, shouting fans. In contrast, the band’s stripped back rendition of megahit ‘Glycerine’ creates a tangible connection between band and fans as the crowd project Rossdale’s own words back to him.

The reason so many people identify with Bush’s music is a simple one. These songs are the soundtrack to their life, from a band whose music means just as much to them now as when they first heard it. The overwhelming feeling within the venue is one of appreciation and gratitude on both sides, emphasised when at the close of the show, Rossdale comes down to hug and hold hands with their fans – the people who made their dreams possible.

Ultimately, Bush’s live show successfully combines fierceness and vulnerability with an instantly recognisable and very human quality – the raw emotion the audience here tonight have felt, identified with, and found an outlet for.