To celebrate International Women’s Day the university will be holding a number of events and workshops to help inspire and empower female students within UEA.

International Women’s Day has taken place for over a century, beginning with its first gathering in 1911 which was supported by over a million people. International Women’s Day celebrates the global impact of women’s economic, social, political, and cultural achievements.

The title ‘#SheCan’ will be used to advocate the values of the movement and spread the word of the event. A variety of skill-focused workshops will take place on the day with their aim being to ‘develop skills and build confidence’. Such workshops include: working towards your future, developing communication skills, building your personal brand, and practising networking.

The grand finale of the day will be an evening drinks networking event which will be held at the Sainsbury’s Centre. During this event, students will have the opportunity to meet employers and listen to a panel comprising of a variety of influential women on their personal experiences within the business world. UEA Chancellor Karen Jones CBE will be taking part in the panel and delivering the keynote speech for the evening.

A spokesperson for CareerCentral said: ‘What we really want is to ensure that all female identifying students leave UEA confident in their abilities, and inspired to achieve their career potential. We are delighted to host Karen Jones CBE, Chancellor of UEA, as keynote speaker at our evening drinks reception. Her seasoned achievements include founding Café rouge and becoming CEO of the Spirit pub group, a testament to her drive to succeed’.

All events taking place on the day will be free of charge for students and are bookable through the landing page on MyCareerCentral.