Second year International Relations and Politics student Scott Arthur, who recently survived his battle with cancer, is due to volunteer in Uganda this summer, where he will help to build play facilities for children in disadvantaged communities.

Scott completed his treatment for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a rare form of cancer developing in the white blood cells and affecting the immune system, last January, bringing six months of chemotherapy treatment and a month of radiotherapy to a thankful end and on to a gradual process of recovery.

Scott told Concrete how he found the opportunity to volunteer with East African Playgrounds (EAP), an international non-governmental organization (NGO) working in East Africa, primarily Uganda, to create play areas and programmes for children in the most disadvantaged of communities.

The NGO works in schools, refugee settlements and hospitals to ensure that their needs for development, health and wellbeing are recognised and fulfilled.

Scott explained: “For a while I’ve wanted to do some charity work, to give back something to the world. But I wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted to do.”

It was after hearing about EAP through staff advertising it in one of his lectures, Scott found the inspiration he needed to pursue his goal.

“I thought that it fitted the bill really well [and it was] a chance to volunteer in an amazing country and hopefully put some good back into the world.

“You look at these children, some of the poorest children in the world and they have very little in the way of material possessions, but that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t have a normal childhood.

“Every child wants to play and enjoy themselves and if I can help provide that gift then I’ll be delighted.”

In order to participate, each individual must raise a minimum of £800.

Scott will be working alongside 14 other individuals, though several trips will be taking place over the course of the summer for others to take part too.

Donations can be made by visiting Scott’s fundraising page on the EAP website in order to help him reach his target.