Since 2009 the number of young people who joined British Triathlon has seen a staggering 30 percent increase. This popular sport has seen a healthy growth in membership here at UEA – now more students than ever are joining the club, for both social and competitive roles.

A standard week is packed with ten optional training sessions in swimming, cycling and running, alongside strength and conditioning. Our circuits sessions are probably the most popular, they suit those who join to get in shape alongside having fun and making friends.

The ëwork hard, play hardí attitude of UEA triathletes has injected an irreproducible vibrancy to our time at university. In combination with our efficient training approach, this means we achieve our competitive goals and still have time to relax.

It is difficult to describe an average UEA Triathlon Club member. I am equally proud of our GB Age Group triathletes as I am of those who spin along on the social Sunday rides to sip coffee outside a Norfolk cafe with their mates. An overarching trait I have noticed all our triathletes possess is their friendliness and approachability – I hope to continue to promote this side of our club in the coming years.

One of our most popular socials is the ‘Parkrun Breakfast’ – an epitome of UEA Tri’s character. After smashing a hard 5k run around Eaton Park, alongside the Norwich public, we retire to a triathleteís house for a big communal fry-up (always with vegan options!)

Everyone is welcome and most importantly it gives us all a chance to bask in the glory of a Parkrun PB, whilst refuelling our worn-out legs.

Every year UEA takes a team of triathletes to compete nationally at the BUCS Duathlon (Run-Bike-Run) and Triathlons (Swim-Bike-Run).

These weekend trips away offer an exciting chance to have a go at racing, whether youíre a complete novice to the sport or an Age Group Triathlete.

Being cheered across the line as you complete your first multi-sport race is an unforgettable experience that helps to explain our growing number of competitive members.

If youíd like to compete with even less pressure, we will be hosting regular small-scale races for members to practise their race-craft in Norwich throughout the year.

To help the Norwich community, the Tri club is working with Special Olympics Norfolk ñ a local charity that provides sport training to people of all ages with disabilities; we will be regularly volunteering our time as well as raising money for this brilliant cause.