The Book Hive has received national media attention after author Susan Hill claimed the bookshop refuses to sell certain titles.

The Woman in Black author wrote in the The Spectator that she had cancelled an event at the Norwich shop after feeling it was an “anti-Trump bookshop”.

Henry Layte, the shop’s owner, said that he did not ban books and would order any title for customers to be picked up the next day.

In a Facebook post, Mr Layte said: “Such a ban [on pro-Trump literature] has never existed in my shop. [Hill] would know this had she ever visited, which she hasn’t.”

However, he said: “it would be churlish of me not to reflect in much of my stock the prevailing political temperature of the place I am in.”

MP Michael Gove also waded into the argument to defend Ms Hill, tweeting that she is a “brilliant writer” and calling supporters of the shop “illiberal bigots.”

The episode has elicited discussion amongst Norwich residents about whether the city is particularly left-wing.

Daniel, a first year History and Philosophy student said: “Norwich is a liberal echo chamber insofar that the council has had a Labour majority since its founding in 1973. Liberal ideas are obviously the social norm. People don’t like to be different, so the majority adhere to the norm.”

A third year English Literature with Creative Writing student from Chicago said that they don’t think ‘liberal bubbles’ are necessarily bad.

They said: “I’d view it more like a safe space for people who don’t want to feel threatened. I’d feel threatened as a woman if I lived in a strongly Republican town in the south for example.

“I’d argue that censoring hate-mongers is the lesser of two evils when the alternative is providing a platform for them to speak, which in turn normalises hate speech.”

This latest fracas follows protests in the literary world resulting in publishers Simon & Schuster dropping their book deal with the controversial pundit Milo Yiannopoulos.