We can all agree the monarchy is a iconic British symbol recognised across the world. The Queen is 92, and her portrait features on all our coins and all our stamps. But is it time for a change?

The possibility of having Prince Charles as our next monarch is a conundrum. His political campaigns and meddling with the government have caused controversy over the last few decades and quite frankly, he’s no longer taken seriously in the media. The satirical cartoons are endless.

History shows when monarchs become too involved in politics, public unrest, political turmoil, and even revolution ensues. Obviously, times have changed and the monarch has nowhere near the same amount of political influence as he or she did in previous centuries. Yet Prince Charles’ history in campaigning and his political activeness is a cause for concern. Charles has an unconventional attitude to politics and tries to work beyond his role as Prince. In an interview for a BBC documentary celebrating his 70th birthday Prince Charles said he would not continue pursuing political campaigns when King. Yet he also referred to being King as a “role” that would be completely differently to being Prince of Wales. This use of the term “role” may indicate the Prince views something about being monarch as fake.

Historically, since the Prime Minister became embedded into the political world, the monarch has taken a backseat in the running of the country, only completing ceremonial tasks. The annual Christmas speech and giving out the invitation to form a government are a few of these tasks, but I think Charles would prefer a more active political role.

Prince William, unlike his father has maintained a very safe distance from the government and politics in general. William is more publicly relatable. He’s young, kind, and married Kate Middleton, a woman who some may see as a more fitting match in terms of class. Their children have become a marvel in the media, making the whole nation broody (well some of it at least). It doesn’t stop with William. Harry too holds a place in the nation’s heart, especially since marrying the actress Meghan Markle and announcing their pregnancy.

The younger generation of the Royal Family is more progressive and open minded, and a better fit for society today.  This being said, although many may want Charles to abdicate, I doubt he will. There’s really no question we’ll see Prince Charles on our coins and on our stamps.