After new observations, researchers have discovered that, when provided with them, chimpanzees can use tools spontaneously and correctly to solve problems.

As a race, we often deliberate over Darwin’s theory of evolution and our biological history with apes.

Partnered with the University of Tuibigen, Germany, observations were conducted to track the use of tool-like behaviours with the Chimpanzees at Twycross Zoo, UK. In the experiment, the subjects were given a bowl of water with food inside. The aim was to see whether they would use sticks to help them fish out the food.

Psychology Professor, Elisa Bandini has said that the idea behaviour is passed down via interactions and copying (like human culture) has been put into disrepute.

What was so interesting about this was that it has challenged the belief that chimpanzees have to learn from each other.Essentially, their epistemology was based on their own social interactions in their groups.

Professor Claudior Tennis said: “Given these results, the long-held assumption that apes must observe one another to show these behaviours may have been due to an illusion of cultural transmission.”

With leading research continuing in this field, it is safe to say that chimpanzees are more intelligent than we initially thought.