Norwich South MP Clive Lewis has said that he would be willing to defy a Labour Whip and vote against the triggering of Article 50, but will vote with the party in the first reading.

Clive Lewis told the Eastern Daily Press, he will “respect the will of the referendum” but that “you have to give parliament a chance to do the best thing.”

“This is what the second reading is about. We will put down those red lines and markers and reporting back mechanisms. I will, along with the rest of the Labour Party, make sure we hold this government to account.”

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has stated that he would not seek to block the wish of the British People, telling Sky News, “We will not block Article 50.”

Yet this has not stopped the threat of rebellion within his party, with a handful of Labour MPs having publicly said they will oppose Article 50, and rumours of others following suit.

Hampstead and Kilburn MP Tulip Siddiq resigned from the shadow cabinet after it was announced Corbyn would implement a three-line whip on the vote.

Lewis said that if he does not agree with the deal as it is presented at the final reading, “in terms of report back mechanisms, red lines on negotiations and a final parliamentary veto on the deal,” he would “vote accordingly”.

Much of the controversy over the triggering of Article 50 stems from the hard Brexit that has been hinted at by the Conservative administration.

They have made it clear that the process of leaving will involve revoking membership of the single market, something which has caused controversy amongst many of those seeking a more mild approach.

In January the Supreme Court ruled that Parliament would have to be consulted before the government is able to trigger the clause, which once done would see Britain’s exit from the EU occur within two years.

Lewis said he was “mindful” that most of his constituency voted to remain in the EU.

Norwich voted to Remain by 56.2 percent with a turnout of 69.1 percent.