The Commuter is the latest feature from Jaume Collet-Serra, the director of three other Liam Neeson-led movies: Unknown, Non-Stop, and Run All Night. The film follows an ex-cop who travels on a train to work every day. On his way home after being fired from his job, he receives a hypothetical question from a mysterious passenger. This leads him of the quest of finding a passenger who, according to our mysterious guest, does not belong on the train. Can he find this passenger before the train reaches its destination?

With the situation escalating, this is a very B movie-esque film, but after two viewings it is safe to say that this is a train offering a trip worth taking.

There are some surprises along the way, including the eventual discovery of the mystery passenger. The performances on display are great too, with characters ranging from a businessman with attitude to a punk girl, bringing some fun in with the seriousness.

Neeson, who is suitably charismatic, is characterised and developed well as your typical everyday man, though he possesses elements of his role as an action hero in Taken. The fight sequences and CGI are where the movie falters, along with a couple of decisions in its narrative. While these aspects are hit and miss in their execution, a solid cast more than makes up for it. The Commuter is an action thriller that, while occasionally clumsy, makes up for this with both its capable craft and cast.

★★★