We’ve all been told how good for us fish is with its healthy fats, protein and Omega 3 but how about plastic?

Packs of six Youngís fish cakes have been recalled from Farmfoods and Heron Foods stores due to the risk of them containing hard plastic and potentially scraps of metal.

Customers have been asked not to eat the products and to return them to store for a full refund. Youngs have only released a statement saying the products are being withdrawn.

They said, “We take all issues regarding the production of food extremely seriously.”

It has not, however, been explained whether the contaminants were caused by a production issue or if they were already present in the fish and were failed to be detected.

A study published this month has found that over 7- percent of dead fish have ingested plastic, including deep water fish.

These deep-water fish migrate to the surface during the night to feed on their diet of microplankton and it is assumed this is when they are ingesting the plastic.

Tom Doyle of the Ryan Institute at NUIG said, “daily activities such as washing out clothes results in billions of microplastics entering our oceans”.

Could it be that the plastics found in Young’s fish cakes have originated from one’s use of plastics?

Plastic waste has fired to the top of the UKs political agenda following the second series of Blue Planet on the BBC.

David Attenborough showed the public how plastic pollution in our oceans could be harming both our sea life and us by eating it.

Attenborough has told news outlets “We’ve seen albatrosses come back with their belly full of plastic instead of squid for their young”.

He has also managed to convince the Queen to ban the use of plastics at all Royal estates with the introduction of biodegradable and compostable packaging instead.

A primary school in Nottingham have written letters to their local Tesco after seeing the series asking them to stop producing and selling one-use 5p plastic bags.

This appears to have worked as both Tesco and ASDA have revealed plans to scrap 5p carrier bags by the end of 2018 as well as ASDA phasing out disposable coffee cups and plastic cutlery from their cafes.

However, the consumer watch dog has warned customers that larger ëbags-for-lifeí may pose a risk for food poisoning if consumers pack raw foods in with ready-to-eat-foods such as bread.

They advise to “keep your family safe by packing raw foods separately and washing bags for life out often.”