Kicking off our new playlists series is Will Cockram, with a pick of little known tracks and big names. Listen through Spotify.

Fancy making your own playlist to share? Any tunes, any decade, any genre. Email Harry at concrete.online@uea.ac.uk

Come on Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners

This was featured in the brilliant dancing scene in film adaptation of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. If you haven’t seen it, you should – this track is the best part of the whole film.

Heart of My Own – Basia Bulat

Please don’t ask me to pronounce her name. That aside, this is a folk-influenced song with a cracking string sections. Turn it up to 11 to really appreciate them.

Genetic Engineering – Orchestra Manoeuvres in the Dark 

OMD reformed in 2006, but this is my favourite song of theirs. From their lesser known album Dazzle Ships, it’s somewhat underrated: “Why [Genetic Engineering] wasn’t a hit remains a mystery” – Ned Raggett.

Carries On – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

According to Wikipedia, Edward Sharpe (and co.) is of the “neo-psychedelia” genre. I don’t really know what that is, but I sort of know what they mean at the same time. Best to just hit play and give it a whirl.

Happier – A Fine Frenzy

Alison Sudol has a fantastic vocal range, and it really shows in this track. Wait for the start of the chorus and you’ll see what I mean.

Silence Is Easy – Starsailor

I can’t help but think of bands like Stereophonics when I hear this track. It certainly has similarities with Dakota. They’re really worth a listen.

Embers – Owl City

It’s no Fireflies and it sounds much like the rest of their album, The Midsummer Station, but it’s a good pop song with a really catchy chorus … *hums*

Young Dumb and In Love – Mat Kearney

Mat Kearney was thrust upon me a bit, but he’s really grown on me. This is one of my favourite.

El Salvador – Athlete

Athlete have been around for over 10 years and their music has really changed in that time. This track seems to be a good mid-way point in their style.

Handwritten – The Gaslight Anthem

This is from their new album (July 2012) of the same title. If you’ve never heard of TGA before, you should have a listen to this. They’re a great folk-influenced rock band.