Hatty Farnham on how to stay cosy and stylish this winter

Photographer: Chloe Hashemi. Stylist: Hatty Farnham.
Models: David Barwill, George Stables, Sally Grice, Ellen Thornton, Laurel Brown, Elliott Habgood.

Unisex Staples

Whether it’s a wax jacket, a quilted Barbour, or a pair of Hunters; country essentials are pretty much the same for girls and guys. It’s not all about the labels and you can find some pretty nifty high-street versions of all the above in Topshop, Miss Selfridge and ASOS, for example. The beauty of Hunter and Barbour brands, however, is that their clothing is made to keep you warm and dry, and will see you through many winters before showing the slightest wear.

High-Waisted Jodhpur Pants

Zara and Banana Republic sell thick black jodhpur pants which work well as leggings underneath boots, or with a pair of chunky heels on a night out.

The Coloured Chino

Contrast autumnal colours with red or navy chinos, and wear with a sweater in the day or a shirt at night. Clashing socks and rolled up trousers look great with an oversized Barbour.

A Touch of Tweed

I’m not suggesting you should grace the streets of Norwich in full hunting garb, but tweed-style clothing can be both classy and well-tailored. Real tweed can be very itchy and very expensive, but the high-street offers a plethora of skin-friendly alternatives. Zara’s fitted women’s blazers (adorned with elbow patches, of course), H&M’s tweed-print cigarette pants, and Topman’s tweed ties, for example, add a quirky touch to dull winter colours.

The Riding Boot

Elegant, timeless, and gloriously cosy; knee high leather boots are essential for surviving Norwich’s snowy mornings. The boot should fit snuggly around your calves, and this means being fussy until you find the perfect fit. Dune, John Lewis and Russell and Bromley use gorgeous leather and classic design.

Fur Trimmings

Use a fur collar to liven up last year’s coat, or a fur headband to keep you toasty. Head bands or ear muffs, as opposed to hats, help to avoid flat hair and look great with high ponytails. Real fur is not encouraged, but you can pick up cheap (and guilt-free) alternatives at Norwich Market or in high street shops such as Accessorize or Ark.

Photograph: Chloe Hashemi

The Chelsea Boot

The all-rounder. Black or brown, the Chelsea boot is comfy, affordable and appropriate for almost every occasion. I wear mine with jeans to the library, with a skirt and tights to dinner, or with a dress and bare legs to the LCR.

Boyish Brogues

For men or women, nothing looks cuter than a pair of tan brogues under turned up jeans in the winter or with bare legs in the summer.

Wonderful Wool

Sling a long woollen scarf around your neck for a suave look. Burgundy is preferable but not mandatory. You can pick up woollen or silk scarves from vintage fairs around Norwich, but just make sure you wash them first. Alternatively, the Cable Knit is still going strong. Wear with red chinos, dark jeans or leggings and you will look snug as a bug.

Canine Company

If you’re committed to looking the part, you should consider finding yourself a furry friend.