Home advantage played its part during both indoor cricket matches in the Sportspark, as support lined the gallery above the playing arena.

cricket

Photo: Elizabeth Margereson

Cricket II

UEA’s second team awon by 93 runs after winning the the toss and electing to bat first.

George Northover and Karsh Patel opened the batting and quickly plundered 34 runs off the first two overs, setting the tone for the rest of the innings. They put on 65 for the first wicket, before Northover was run out in the fifth over for 17.

Ben Tosland was the new man at the crease. Essex’s bowling tightened up slightly to stem the run rate, and in the sixth over they claimed a second wicket. Tosland being run out on three.

The third and final wicket fell an over later. Patel had been anchoring the innings and had a well-made 21 to his name when he too was run out.

Sam Tomkinson joined Michael Spring at the crease and the pair set about raising the run rate. Tomkinson, who retired on 27 not out, bludgeoned three consecutive sixes, the first of the innings.

It was up to Spring (19 not out) and Chris Webber (2 not out) to take UEA home, with an imposing 140-3 on the board.

Essex got their run chase off to an awful start. Sadler was the first man to go when Webber had him caught by Patel, failing to trouble the scorers.

Soon after they were two down as Tosland took the middle stump of Nevill.

Jakeman got Essex’s first runs off the bat, but was out courtesy of a sharp run out from Tosland, after a lowly four runs.

The next ball brought an almost carbon copy of the wicket; Talbot was run out without facing, leaving Essex reeling at 16-4 off of 2.3 overs.

After a period of rebuilding for Essex, Patel claimed an LBW, to leave Essex’s Patel their last man standing.

Faced with the daunting task of scoring 113 runs by himself off of five overs, he put in a valiant effort, but had scored only 22 of the required runs when Tomkinson had him caught by Webber, who was later named man of the match.

The crushing 93 run victory was one of the first points for UEA on the day.

Cricket I

UEA’s first team followed and won by 39 runs after winning the toss and choosing to bat.

Dave Turner and Tom Blandford opened for UEA, advancing to 27-0 before Turner was caught for 13 as he top edged a shot into the gallery above the hall, but was caught off the wall.

Rhys Purnell was the new man in and added a further 32 runs alongside Blandford before the latter retired.

Elliot Whiting was run out first ball, with Sam Hennessy replacing him at 60-2 off 4.5 overs.

Purnell was then run out for 19 bringing in Pete Turnbull. Hennessy struck some fine shots prior to retiring on 27.

Blandford returned to the crease and added vital runs at the end of the innings with Turnbull as UEA posted 133-3 on the scoreboard.

In reply, Essex started a lot better than their second team. Sammons and Davis preserved their wickets for the first five overs as UEA’s bowling kept the runs down.

Hennessy took a sharp chance off Whiting to claim the first wicket as Sammons was dismissed on 8, making it 47-1 off 5.2 overs.

Essex were struggling to find runs and soon had to force the issue, leading to the quick wickets of Cambridge-Moore and Mahindru. The prior was given run out after a lengthy discussion between umpires and both sides. The latter was caught off the wall by Turner off Whiting’s bowling

Davis retired not out on 25, but McKinley and Champness couldn’t take Essex home as UEA completed the double with a 33 run victory, Tom Blandford deservedly being awarded man of the match.