Dating in high school is incredibly different from finding someone to love at university.

Your age does make a huge difference in your relationships. For example, in high school, you are most likely to find your lover simply because you are involuntarily put in the same physical space every day. Even if there are clubs and societies that are available for you to join, it’s hard to tell at that age what you’re really passionate about.

This starts to change at university, where there are tons of societies that cater to your interests. This period of life is usually when people discover more about themselves. Since people generally have a better sense of who they are and what they love, it’s generally easier to meet people with the same interests as you.

The nature of relationships also change. High school can feel like a place that’s removed from the rest of the world, a bubble that protects you from having to make any real life decisions. Relationships tend to be more playful, carefree and easy. However, this also means that they can be less serious. At university, you inevitably start thinking of your future — where you want to live after university and what job path you’re going down.

This complicates relationships a little, as you have to be able to fit the other person into your long term plans. The great thing about having to plan ahead is that your relationship becomes more sincere, honest and exciting.

Lastly, university is a place where we’re all learning how to be adults. We all aim to be less petty, immature or bratty towards one another than we were in high school.

Couples tend to fight over small things less at university, as maturity knocks some sense into them. In my opinion, university is a much better time to start a relationship than in high school.

You’re better equipped to deal with the complex issues that come with being in a relationship, and besides, you also have more freedom to do whatever you want with your partner, away from the prying eyes of your parents.