For two weeks, Norwich’s Theatre Royal plays host to Dirty Dancing – the classic story on stage, which has just begun its first national tour.

From the queue of (largely female) giggly theatre-goers stretching round the block to the pink spotlights and disco balls, gleaming onto some well-oiled and shirtless men, you may be forgiven for believing the Theatre Royal was holding the world’s largest hen night. It’s fair to assume that most of the audience were fans of the 1987 film, but despite the difficulties of performing to an audience with sky high expectations, Dirty Dancing is a wonderful musical.

The live dancing is saucy and immaculate, which is no small feat when grinding on a pretty small stage. Even the stage itself is impressive, with a novel rotating floor and lots of white wooden slats which do a good job of transporting the audience back to Kellerman’s, which is, of course, the premise behind the musical adaptation.

The production was almost identical to the film, except everything is amplified and very up close and personal. Even the band, rather than being hidden away in the orchestra pit, are raised above the stage for all to see whilst they perform the soundtrack to the film.

There really is very little to fault with this production. Dirty Dancing fans know that to better the movie is impossible, but the stage musical is a different experience entirely and really does not disappoint. The atmosphere is fizzy and exciting and it is totally acceptable to get up and dance in the aisles.

For lovers of cheese, Dirty Dancing is definitely worth seeing, even if it’s just to see how they stage that lift in the lake.

Tickets are available from Theatre Royal. Dirty Dancing is showing until Saturday 15 September 2012.