Christmas is all about tradition. But if sitting down to watch the Doctor Who special has become part of your Christmas Day routine, you might be slightly disappointed this year. After thirteen consecutive Christmases, the Doctor Who special is moving to a New Year’s Day slot. This year, if you want to watch a long-running British institution whilst tucking into your turkey sandwiches, it looks like you’ll be stuck with the Queen instead.

Whatever the reasoning behind this move, I can’t help but think this feels like a bit of a downgrade. At the time of writing, practically nothing is known about the special apart from the fact that it is written by Chris Chibnall and stars Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor. Whilst I haven’t been terribly impressed with most of the episodes written by Chibnall so far, hopefully he can write a good episode that will help ease the transition to the New Year.

The special won’t be the only outing for the Doctor in 2019 either, as it’s already been confirmed that another series starring Whittaker will air in the autumn. Various rumours have been flying around the internet claiming that both Whittaker and showrunner Chibnall could make an unexpected early exit after this next series, which would be a shame in some ways if true, because Jodie Whittaker’s performance as the Doctor has been one of my highlights of this year’s series.

Whether this proves to be true or not, I think Doctor Who has a long future ahead of it. The show is too well-loved and has inspired too many people creatively to ever leave us for good. So come the New Year, put your feet up, grab the last remaining mince pie and enjoy the latest instalment of one of Britain’s most iconic TV series knowing; if you’ll forgive the obvious allusion – it’s only just begun.