Donald Trump has offered to help terminally ill Charlie Gard, a ten month old baby currently being treated in Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).

His intervention comes shortly after a UK court concluded that Charlie’s life support machine should be turned off.

Charlie’s parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, asked the European court judges in France to consider this decision after the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court ruled in favour of GOSH doctors.

However, the European Court of Human Rights refused to help their case last week.

The US President tweeted: “If we can help little #CharlieGard, as per our friends in the UK and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so.”

Charlie’s parents are currently spending their last few days with their son, after being granted more time before his life support machine is switched off.

The baby, who suffers from a rare genetic condition and has brain damage, has been at the heart of a legal battle between his parents and specialists at the hospital. Charlie’s parents wanted him to have a therapy trial in the US, which they raised £1.3m via crowdfunding. Despite their efforts, specialists insisted that the treatment was experimental and would not help.

Pope Francis stated the boy’s parents should be permitted to “accompany and treat their child until the end”.

His comment coincided with people gathering outside Buckingham Palace to protest the decision for Charlie’s treatment to end.

The hospital also denied the parents request to take their child home to die.

Ms Yates, his mother, said the crowdfunding money would go to a charity for mitochondrial depletion syndrome if Charlie could not benefit from the funds.