Paul Martin, an ex-UEA student and testicular cancer survivor, will join 49 others on June 22 for a skydiving event in Beccles to raise money for the charity that helped him throughout his treatment – Norfolk’s The Big C.

Last year, as twenty-three-year-old Martin started his job as communications and marketing assistant at Norfolk Community Health and Care NHS Trust, he was struck by the cancer diagnosis. He described it as a “big impact”, but decided to take “each day as it came”. Martin focused on his new job instead, and did his best to stay positive, and the miracle came. By December 2013, he was all clear after a surgery and three chemotherapy sessions at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

Photo: Submitted
Photo: Submitted

The upcoming skydive is simply an experience for Martin to have a thrilling experience with altitude and live life to its fullest. It is also an opportunity for him to give back to The Big C – Norfolk’s cancer charity from which he received “fantastic support”. Martin has already bungee jumped earlier this year. However, this time, skydiving from 13,000ft, he hopes to raise £1,001 for The Big C. Although he is already more than halfway towards his target, this will not be the only cancer charity event that he wishes to contribute to. Martin plans to organise a 250 mile bike ride for a friend who suffers from pancreatic cancer that he met during his treatment.

Martin said: “It was a huge shock. When you’re young, cancer isn’t really something you think about as you feel indestructible. The diagnosis had a really big impact as it felt like I was hit with the news just as my life was really getting started…. I received some fantastic support from The Big C, which helped make dealing with my condition much more manageable. I want to make sure I live life to the full”.

If you wish to contribute to Martin’s Big C Big Jump, head over to his fundraising page here.