From early this year, students who need to self-certify or submit details about their extenuating circumstances for an extension or delayed assessment will have to do so online by completing a task on e:Vision.

On Tuesday 2 January, the Learning, Teaching and Support (LTS) Team announced to students via email that anybody needing to report anything impacting their studies will no longer do so through their hubs, and that further information will be made available shortly.

A spokesperson for the university has told Concrete: “Following a year in development LTS is pleased to introduce an automated system for Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate students who need to self-certify or submit details about their extenuating circumstances.”

The spokesperson made it clear that there will be “no change” to the 2017/18 policy on extenuating circumstances, “but the way that students make [extenuating circumstance] requests will now be via e:Vision instead of by submitting a paper form.” They added that students will be able to track the progress of their extenuating circumstances request on e:Vision.

SU Undergraduate Education Officer Mary Leishman called the changes “a welcome move into the 21st Century that [The SU] have been working on for some time.” However, Leishman suggested the university can do more. She said: “UEA still lags massively behind other Universities on simple and easy access to student admin process and general IT investment.

“UEA has a new IT Director starting soon and we’re calling on them to pick up the pace, rolling out a comprehensive plan that covers everything from unreliable eduroam to making blackboard less baffling.”

The university did not confirm whether or not the new changes to extenuating circumstances directly followed the data mishandling issues from the last year.