Eddie Murphy:

The American comedian, actor, writer, singer, and director was ranked #10 on Comedy Central’s list of the 100 greatest stand-ups of all time. He began his career as a regular on Saturday Night Live in the 80s. Murphy is well known for his role in Dr. Dolittle, and as a voice actor for his role as Donkey in Shrek which was his highest grossing movie.

Mahatma Gandhi:

Gandhi is known worldwide as a peacemaker who fought for Indian independence against British rule. During India’s freedom movement, Gandhi undertook 17 fasts, the longest having lasted 21 days. He used fasting as a weapon as part of his non-violence philosophy. Gandhi inspired movements for civil rights and pursuits for freedom across the world.

Albert Einstein:

A German theoretical physicist, Einstein developed one of the two pillars of modern physics: the theory of relativity. This discovery is commended for its impact on the philosophy of science. He is also known for having invented one of the world’s most famous equations, E=mc2. Einstein could also have become Israel’s second president but turned down the offer.

Bob Marley:

Bob Marley was a Jamaican singer and songwriter, whose music resonates with people worldwide. Working with his band The Wailers, and producer Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Marley was a reggae trailblazer. Marley and the Wailers’ compilation album, Legend, is the genre’s best- selling album of all time, having sold around 28 million copies worldwide. He was well known for his unique blend of reggae, ska and rocksteady.

Freddie Mercury:

The lead singer of Queen, Freddie Mercury wrote several of the band’s hits including “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Don’t Stop Me Now,” and “We Are the Champions”. Mercury also led a solo career whilst performing with the rock band and was sometimes a producer and guest artist for other musicians.

Theodore Roosevelt:

Most famously known as having served as the 26th president of the United States, Roosevelt was also an author, explorer, and soldier. He had a good relationship with the press (ironic what with the current president’s negative relations with the media) and effectively invented the presidential press briefings by giving reporters their own room inside the White House.

Salvador Dali:

A Spanish surrealist artist who was best known for his unique style. His most famous painting, called The Persistence of Memory, consists of drooping clocks on the beachside. Dali’s iconic moustache must be considered one of the most famous. Indeed, after the exhumation of his body this year, Dali’s moustache was in the famed “ten past ten” position.

Charlie Chaplin:

Chaplin was an icon who rose to fame in the era of silent film. The English actor became known worldwide due to his screen persona “The Tramp”, the wearer of the top hat. In the 1930s, Chaplin refused to move to sound films and continued to produce films with no dialogue. His films were characterised by slapstick and became increasingly political. Chaplin’s career lasted 75 years and he is identified as central in the history of film.

Tom Selleck:

Selleck’s most famous role was that of private investigator Thomas Magnum from the television series Magnum, P.I. His character was famous for his moustache, a Hawaiian-style shirt, and the Ferrari he drove. This Ferrari model became so identified with him that it is referred to as a “Magnum” Ferrari. You may also recognise him as Richard from FRIENDS.

Mark Twain:

Mark Twain was Samuel Langhorne Clemens’ pen name. The American writer wrote The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and its sequel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, commonly referred to as “The Great American Novel”. It is almost impossible to compile a complete bibliography of his works due to the huge number of pieces he wrote. As well as having a career as a writer Twain was also humorist, entrepreneur, publisher, and lecturer.