Roger Federer made history yesterday by becoming the first man to win Wimbledon eight times, increasing his record to 19 Grand Slam titles.

The 35-year-old Swiss defeated Marin Cilic from Croatia 6-3 6-1 6-4 in one hour and 41 minutes, making it a comfortable win for the third seed. This is the first time Federer has won Wimbledon since 2012, making him the oldest man to win in the Open Era. He is also the first man since Bjorn Borg in 41 years to win the tournament without dropping a set.

Cilic struggled in the second set when blisters on his left foot caused him to burst into tears, while the doctor, supervisor and tournament referee attended to him. The seventh seed’s blisters inhibited him from moving quickly around the court, resulting in Federer securing a two-set lead in 61 minutes.

Cilic looked like he was going to retire at the end of the second set, which would have been the first in a men’s final since 1911, but the Croatian powered through to the end of the match.

Federer sympathised for the seventh seed’s injury. He said: “It is cruel sometimes.”

He praised Cilic, saying: “But Marin Cilic fought well and is a hero, so congratulations on a wonderful tournament.”

Cilic reflected on his performance: “I never give up in a match. I gave it my best – it’s all I can do.”

Federer has won two of the three Grand Slam tournaments this year, defeating Rafa Nadal at the Australian Open final in January. He is now joint-fourth on the Greatest Of All Time (GOAT) list with Helen Wills Moody.

After serving an ace to win the match, Federer was teary-eyed and in “disbelief” at his impressive record. He composed himself, stating: “I kept on believing and dreaming and here I am today with the eight, fantastic.”