Seven UEA schools have scored 50 percent or lower student satisfaction rates with regards to how feedback on their courses has been acted upon, according to the SU’s latest annual Student Experience Report.

The report, which attempts to sum up the current concerns of UEA students, is based on a variety of sources, including the National Student Survey (NSS), the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey, and the SU’s own research.

According to the report, all schools scored over 80 percent satisfaction with regards to students having the right opportunities to provide feedback about their course. However, schools including AMA, CHE, DEV, ENV, and LDC, all scored below 50 percent for how satisfied students were with their feedback being acted on.

The report states: “The difference in satisfaction between these two questions creates a significant gap between students providing feedback and the perception that feedback is being used to influence change.” The schools with the largest percentage difference are ENV (48.3), DEV (47.5), and CHE (44.5).

Commenting on this difference, SU Undergraduate Education Officer Mary Leishman said: “Too often we [students] never hear back what’s been done with that feedback- leaving students to assume that it’s been ignored when often the truth is that it drives future improvements.”

The report highlights student concerns as recorded in the most recent NSS survey.

One AMA undergraduate is quoted as saying: “Any feedback we give to our tutors are taken and improved for the class of [next year]. We should be seeing improvements in our time at UEA. What is the point of providing feedback and criticism if we aren’t reaping any benefit from this?”

Correction: This article was updated 31/01/2018. A previous version of this article mistakenly attributed a quote from the referenced report to a University spokesperson responding to other comments mentioned. The University have now been contacted for a comment and this article will be updated accordingly.