On the Daily Mail website this week, there was an article asking why young women dress like skanks on a night out. Consider this a rebuttal.

The aforementioned article argued the only reason why we girls suck ourselves in and push ourselves up when we head out on the town is to attract men. I disagree. Apparently, girls dress like skanks all in the name of “confidence”. Confidence… May I ask what is wrong with that?

Surely we should encourage confidence in our fellow females, not belittle them? If we want to wear hot pants in December because they make our legs look fabulous then, dammit, we will. If it takes a bottle of fake tan and a short skirt for someone to feel good about themselves, do we really have any right to judge them for that? Would we rather they sat in their rooms in old trackie bottoms and baggy jumpers, miserable and too self-conscious to go out? I sincerely hope not.

If someone wears Lycra, it does not automatically make them cheap. Perhaps they find it to be an affordable alternative to satin. Perhaps they just haven’t read Vogue in a while. Clothes do not a person make. If a girl wears a tight dress it does not signal that she is about to give a blow job to a boy she’s just met in a corner of the LCR (well, probably not anyway…), she’s going out to dance to Beyoncé with her friends.

The other day, I was laughed at by my housemates for going for a run wearing a bin bag. “What are you wearing?!” they asked. “Quite clearly, a bin bag,” I replied. Now, I obviously didn’t don said bin bag for anyone else’s gratification. I wore it because I’d remembered hearing somewhere that it makes you sweat more when you exercise and thus lose more weight. My bin bag is another girl’s boob tube.

What I am saying is, if we girls want to dress like ‘sluts’ (your misinterpretation, not ours), it certainly doesn’t mean we are sluts.

Don’t judge us. We may, correctly, draw the line at girls donning crotch-less pants and nipple tassels on a night out. There is a time and a place for that, and Lola Lo’s is probably not it. However, if I don’t wish to cover up, does that make me less of a feminist? Or more?  My feminist mother burnt her bra, and proudly bounced her way through the unenlightened 70s and 80s as she clawed her way up the corporate ladder ; no-one who met her then would have dared to think she was doing it because she was a “skank.” It was a visible sign of the freedom she was fighting for.

So let us not judge. We should embrace freedom of expression. It was hard won, and the battle is not over yet…