Volunteers of UEA’s student-led listening service have said they feel positive their new space is suitable going into the new term.

Nightline, a service students can call overnight to talk about anything, had faced problems last year when they were relocated from a Ziggurat room to a section of the Library.

The Library’s regulations meant volunteers could not eat or sleep during their twelve hour shifts. They also could not host in-person drop-in sessions owing to issues with confidentiality and anonymity.

The service has moved to the Student Support Services (SSS), opposite Waterstones on the walkway, and will begin taking calls Saturday 23 September. SSS was formerly known as the Dean of Students, before its restructuring a couple of years ago.

Alyssa Girvan, the service’s External Coordinator told Concrete: “We are now completely equipped with the resources that allow us to take drop ins again to the Nightline office.””

She said: “You can access us from the rear door, go to the front of the building and head down the walkway on the left and we are the door at the end. We have a doorbell that people can ring if they want to drop in, either for a chat or if they want condoms, C-cards or sexual health testing kits.”

“If people need to know where we are they are welcome to call, text, or IM the office for directions”, she added.

Concrete understands there will be discussions on creating a completely exclusive space for the service but Ms. Girvan said that “for the foreseeable future”, SSS would be the “permanent location of Nightline”.

Nightline serves university cities across the country, with volunteers able to listen to students’ concerns via six different types of media from 8pm-8am.

Director of SSS, Dr Jon Sharp, said: “Nightline provides a valuable support to many of our students and Student Services are working closely with the Nightline team to ensure that this service receives the support it needs.

“In the last year we have met regularly with Nightline and worked together very productively on a range of issues relating to the delivery of Nightline services to the student community.

The new accommodation arrangement seems to be working well and I look forward to working with the Nightline team in the coming year as they play an invaluable role in supporting the wellbeing of our students.”

Nightline can be reached by calling 01603 597158.